- To serve God is to Honour Him.
- Israelites time and again dishonoured God in many ways. Mal 1:6
- Eli as a priest honoured God initially.
- But his children were a “disdain”.
- Eli as a Father, Eli was passive, inactive, and unconcerned. He turned a blind eye to the sins of his own sons.
- As a result they did not receive the honour from God.
- Lessons we learn….
1. Dynasty rule is not healthy in God’s Work
- Priesthood without Calling and Commitment is a Curse
- Hopni & Phinehas didn’t know God Even though they were Priests! 1 Samuel 2:12
- A conducive atmosphere did not help them. Even though they were raised by the High Priest! They were in the Tabernacle every day
- There was abuse of the role. 1 Samuel 2:15-17.
- Abuse of the place and people. 1 Samuel 2:22
these men not only took advantage of God they took advantage of the weak women in the community.
2. Failure of the Spiritual leader – father
- Eli failed to have a positive influence on his sons Hophni & Phinehas.
- Eli let it go. Their Father had not instilled a sense of respect and awe for God in these men as children.
- Our occupation should not preoccupy us to take us away from family bonding and responsibility.
- Children left to themselves are a danger to themselves & others. Proverbs 19:18
- Discipline your children while there is still hope! Without discipline children can destroy themselves!
- It was too late when Eli spoke to the children.
- 1 Samuel 2:15-18 – Eli’s response was not firm.
- As great a man Eli actually participated in his son’s behavior.
- 1 Samuel 2:29 – Eli was passive and rationalized their behavior.
- Don’t empower them to do wrong. Do not rationalize wrong behavior, and thereby become part of the problem. Eating meat that was stolen from the Alter of God cannot be compromised.
- Failure to restrain the children is equal to participation.
3. Dishonouring God in worship is serious before God.
- 2:17-“Therefore the sin of the young men was very great before the LORD, for men abhorred the offering of the LORD.”
- God does not approve indiscipline in His sanctuary. 1 Samuel 2:23-25 –
- Indiscipline invites judgment.
- 1 Samuel 3:12-14 – God sends a message through Samuel.
- Curse is absence of God’s Blessing.
4. You can honour god even in adverse situation.
Samuel made the difference in a place where God was dishonoured
- He worshiped God. And he worshiped the Lord there. I Samuel 1:28
- He grew up in the presence of God the boy Samuel grew up in the presence of the Lord. 2:21
- He served God. The boy ministered before the Lord under Eli the priest. 2:11 But Samuel was ministering before the Lord 2:18
- He listened to God 1 Samuel 3:1-10
- He honoured God – .”The Lord was with Samuel as he grew up, and he let none of his words fall to the ground. 1 Samuel 3:19
- God honored him too. I Samuel 3:20-21
Samuel did not learn a lesson from history
When Samuel grew old, he appointed his sons as judges for Israel. 1 Samuel 8:1
But his sons did not walk in his ways. They turned aside after dishonest gain and accepted bribes and perverted justice. 1 Samuel 8:3
History repeats itself if we don’t learn from the past.